[Interest] How to login to a website then call an API from the app

Tom Isaacson Tom.Isaacson at navico.com
Sat Apr 2 00:09:03 CEST 2016

(Apologies for the confused question but I don't know enough about what I'm trying to ask to know what the question should be).

We have a Qt4.8.2  app that opens a browser to our website so the user can login. This creates a cookie which we can then use to call the website API from our app after the browser is closed. Now we've moved to Qt5 this has stopped working because QNetworkAccessManager can't be tied to QWebEngine and it looks like we need to move to Qt 5.6 to use the QWebEngineCookieStore class. But it got me thinking - is this actually a good way of doing this or is there a "best practice" we can follow?

You can probably tell that I don't have much experience of web development so this is probably a dumb question, but what's the best way of doing this? Dropping the browser and just using a login dialog then hashing the password (we don't want to store it locally) and logging in via an API call? Or should we be looking at something like OAuth?

Thanks for any assistance.

Tom Isaacson