[Interest] CLion to replace QtCreator?

Emre Besirik nomercy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 14:13:01 CEST 2016

> XML tags completion for known tags. This can be done for *.UI files, and maybe some part of *.QS.  Basic XML structure is already know - so even for unknown XML variants - the IDE knows what tag to close.
> Class implementations - for example, I derive from an interface and pressing control+enter on the type will add missing methods.
> When I define an inline class (Java, but can be done using lambda expressions in C++), just pressing control+enter will write the code for me. For example:
> AlertDialog.Builder builder = new AlertDialog.Builder(this);
> builder.setPositiveButton(android.R.string.ok, new ___
> Pressing "control+enter" will create a new anonymous class which derives new DialogInterface.OnClickListener()
> When a method argument is an enum, code completion works on the corresponding enum, and adds the needed type.
> Automatically know how to modify R"code" for example here:
> ListView mListView = findViewById(R.id.notifications_list_view);
> it will suggest to typecast to ListView (to fix - again, control+enter).
> While debugging the values of variables are displayed inside the text editor, in light gray (no more looking for them in a panel).
> When using connect, using Niko's example, I would like to type
> connect(button, [clicked], this, [playTheFunkyMusic])
> and QtCreator should automagically find the signals of button, and the corresponding slots of "this". It used to work in ond style Qt4 signals, but with modern connections, I need to type the whole type. Some signals are hard to find, for example the "click()" signal from QButton comes from QAbstractButton. This means that when an object "has/provides" a signal, I need to guess the parent type which defined the signal in order connect it (I did not have to know this in Qt4).
> When I am lost "control+enter" usually fixe stuff for me.
> Multiple cursors (see the demo on SublimeText's home page - its epic, and Atom badly implements it),
Search! (like spotlight search with just one shortcut key to open file or go to a particular location in your code):
search symbols
files in your project
search everywhere
you can lookout jetbrains IDEs for more examples
Smart code completion. and by smart I mean for instance; if I’m going to assign something to an int type do not suggest me different return types of functions or variables. do smart things like; if I’m creating/assigning a variable something for first time suggest me things like object initializations first depending on the object type. And try to do these without delays as much as possible. cache, index, think beyond the box.
Do things so obvious your self, do not wait for me to do.
tabs — the current working type of open documents are really annoying. if you have split view open, first you need to select the view you intend to change open document. I dont know how many times I’ve changed the non-intended document in workspace
ONE key to kill all other views and leave code windows open only (like distraction free mode of intellij)
go proactive, generate getters/setter and stuff like that.
have a dark UI mode :)
have tons of more keyboard shortcuts (check out intellij)
have a better user friendly UI

I’m sorry to say this but QtCreator is actually eons behind the current IDE trends and technology :(
Just checkout the comments at the link I shared in my first post, people are practically begging jetbrains to save themselves from QtCreator (no offense intended but this is the case for many people)
And I think Qt Company should just get rid of the denial of the world start to see beyond horizon and do something, revolutionize QtCreator or just do something like Google did for android studio and embrace/deal with jetbrains ide and fork a CLion custimized for Qt development. I dont see anyother way :(

Regards,
Emre Beşirik
nomercy at gmail.com