[Interest] Qt "Tools" GPLv3 Exception 1 Confusion

d3fault d3faultdotxbe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 02:41:08 CEST 2016

I’m confused by the ending of Exception 1 to the GPLv3 for Qt "tools"
( http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/tree/LICENSE.GPL3-EXCEPT?h=4.0
). The part that reads: “you may create a larger work which contains
the output of this application and distribute that work under terms of
your choice, so long as […] the work does not in itself generate
output that contains the output from this application in its original
or modified form”.

Does that mean this example must comply with the terms of the GPLv3?

in file /path/to/main.cpp :

int main()
{
	QFile file(“/path/to/main.cpp”); file.open();
	QByteArray outputFromQtCreatorInOriginalForm = file.readAll();
	QFile file2(“/whatever.cpp”); file.open();
	file2.write(outputFromQtCreatorInOriginalForm);
}

So since I wrote /path/to/main.cpp in Qt Creator, it’s “output from
this application”, and since it generates itself, it “generates output
from this application in it’s original […] form”.

Am I incorrect in my interpretation? Does that file need to fulfill
the requirements of the GPLv3? I hope I’m wrong.

Please feel free to surround your response with IANAL.

d3fault