[Interest] Assert failure in QVariant::save

Sina Dogru sinadooru at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 23:27:50 CEST 2016

Hello,

I have an app which has a save functionality. I keep application states on
QObject-derived class objects and to save the state I use QVariant's
operator<<(). I do this for all the properties of the object. So I use a
loop like this for all my objects:

for (int i = 0; i < metaObj->propertyCount(); ++i)

    if (metaObj->property(i).isStored(obj)) {

        QVariant var(metaObj->property(i).read(obj));

        ds << var;

    }

But some of my objects are QQuickItem-derived. These objects have some
additional properties, such as *parent*, or private properties like *data *or
*anchors*, for whose types the stream operators are not registered.

Normally I compile my project on Linux. But yesterday I tried to compile it
on Windows. On Linux, QVariant::save function was giving the warning
message "QVariant::save: unable to save type ..." for those properties of
QQuickItem, yet the application kept running. On Windows, however, it not
only gives a warning message but also reports a _CRT_ERROR. I understand
this is the expected situation for debug builds, as documented in the
qFatal documentation.

Although I won't receive this error for release builds, leaving my code
this way still feels a bit sloppy. So I would like to ask if there is a way
to check if the stream operators are registered for a particular type or
not. Or maybe saving the state of a QObject-derived class should be done in
another way?

Thanks,
Sina