[Interest] C++ to QML export: "Cannot assign object to list"

Ingo Schiller Ingo_Schiller at raykiel.com
Fri Apr 15 11:10:05 CEST 2016

Dear all,

I am currently moving from Qt4.8,1 to Qt5.5.0 and I am facing a serious
problem with the elements I am exporting from C++ to QML. It (still) uses
the old way using QDeclarativeItem to export the UI elements to QML. At
the moment I can't use QtQuick2 because part of the application heavily
relies on QGraphicsView and worse: QGraphicsScene. So I still have to
stick with the QDeclarative stuff which should still work with Qt5.5.

I am doing everything as with Qt4.8.1 that is: creating the UI elements as
QDeclarativeItems in C++ and register them in QML with qmlRegisterType< >.
Everything is compiled nicely and the import statement in the QML files
don't show errors. I can start the application and all pure qml elements
are rendered and do what they are supposed to do.

BUT: The elements exported from C++ can not be created. It is always
states that "Cannot assign object to list" in the line in which such an
element is created. I found a blog entry from Lewis Manor (
http://lewismanor.blogspot.de/2015/01/qquickitem-cannot-assign-object-to-list.html
) in which he describes the same error message and found that a
qRegisterMetaData<QObject*>("foo") destroyed the MetaSystem. So I searched
for any similar error but could not find one. I even disabled all
qRegisterMetaData and qmlRegisterType stuff except the one element I want
to create. Still the same issue.

Can anyone help please??

Regards,
Ingo