[Interest] Replacement for Qt Script

Ian Geiser geiseri at geekcentral.pub
Mon Apr 18 17:38:11 CEST 2016

 ---- On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:06:59 -0400 Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote ----
 > ttps://forum.qt.io/topic/52306/qt-5-5-qt-script-deprecated-what-is-replacement/12
 > >
 > > I saw this thread, but it did not seem to offer a clear detail other than to use QJSEngine and QJSValue directly.  Specifically I use qScriptRegisterMetaType very heavy to add custom types.  I know if I am using QML I can use qmlRegisterType<T>(uri, 1, 0, "T") but it only makes the type available via the declarative components.  It also requires the object be a QObject which means sharing pointers.  There is also a problem inside of the Javascript.  It is very cumbersome to dynamically create these types.  I understand I am fighting QML, but my design is not as declarative as it is creating objects that can be passed back into C++.   I may be missing something though.
 > >
 > > As an example below with a type called MyStruct:
 > >
 > > ... Qt Script...
 > >
 > > var myStruct = new MyStruct();
 > > myStruct.x = 10;

 > > var myStruct;
 > > var component = Qt.createComponent(???);
 > >  if (component.status == Component.Ready) {
 > >         myStruct = component.createObject(parent, {"x": 100, "y": 100});
 > > }
 > >
 > > What would ??? be?
 >
 > If MyStruct is just a JS object, then just use JS. function MyStruct(){ return {"x": 100, "y": 100}; }; var myStruct = new MyStruct();
 > You only need createObject when you are creating an object defined in C++ or dynamic object from QML.

That is my rub here.  These are custom QML components that are being created in JS and then passed back into the C++ end of things.  The goal being I want to be able to write "plugins" for my app using JS instead of C++. So I am creating and manipulating custom types that are then used to manipulate and extend the C++.  I may be making this harder than it needs to be though.  I will give it a try with the non-gui QML components and see how far I get.