[Interest] Static Qt 5.6.0 on Linux cannot find any fonts

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 14:22:28 CEST 2016

A statically built Qt 5.6.0 results in this when trying to run any
application built with it:

QFontDatabase: Cannot find font directory
/home/realnc/opt/qt-5.6/lib/fonts - is Qt installed correctly?

The application is completely lacking any text.

 From what I was able to find, it seems I have to bundle fonts with the
executable and set QT_QPA_FONTDIR to my bundled fonts directory? That
just doesn't sound right. The end user should be able to use the system
fonts.

How do I make that happen?