[Interest] CLion to replace QtCreator?

Alexey Rusakov alexey.rusakov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:30:02 CEST 2016

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the new compile-time-checked syntax is auto-completed by my Qt Creator (that came with Qt 5.5.1) as well :) and you're a bit blunt on not recommending the older syntax. Apparently you haven't spent enough time with QML.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 2:41 AM -0700, "Nikos Chantziaras" <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:

It only works with the old, Qt4 string/macro-based syntax (using the
SLOT and SIGNAL macros.) Which is totally unsafe and I don't use it
anymore (I wouldn't even recommend it to anyone.) The new syntax, which
is statically checked (compile time) and thus type-safe, even though
it's the recommended one by Qt, is not supported in Creator using the
clang model. This does not auto-complete:

   connect(this, &MyWidget::mySignal, control, &MyControl::mySlot);

This is not the end of the world, but still it's unpleasant to work with.

The clang code model will get better in the future, I'm sure of it. But
right now, it's pain all the way down.

The lacking auto-completion might not even be the worst of it. In the
end, that's "just" a productivity and convenience issue. The lack of
reliable "find all uses" in the clang model is actually a more serious
problem, since if you trust it you're left with the false sense of
security that you caught all the places in your code where a symbol was
used and made whatever changes you needed to make to fix an issue. But
it doesn't find all uses. Which is *dangerous*. So I have to do a
text-based, project-wide search for a string instead to actually get to
all uses of the symbol and update my code.