[Interest] Signing Qt DLLs

Bob Babcock wssddc at wssddc.com
Fri Dec 9 23:32:55 CET 2016

Kai Koehne <Kai.Koehne at qt.io> wrote in
news:DB6PR0201MB2135167CDAB4996D782BF16D98870 at DB6PR0201MB2135.eurprd02.pr
od.outlook.com:

>> The reason for wanting everything to be signed is that Windows
>> Defender may flag unsigned executables as possible malware.
>
> If this does help with the false virus scanner positives this is very
> interesting, indeed.

I know that signing installers helps; I'm not sure if signing DLLs helps or
not.  Looking forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see malware scanners
looking for digital signatures if they aren't doing it now.  On the other
hand, looking at a few random Microsoft DLLs under Windows 10, I see that
they are not signed.

>> Is there any chance that Qt might start signing its DLLs?
> I don't think there are immediate plans to do this. Maybe you can file a
> suggestion?

Created suggestion: QTBUG-57542