[Interest] Frustrated, Why doesn't Qt ever compile?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Dec 21 20:06:48 CET 2016

> Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 1:48 PM
> From: "william.crocker at analog.com" <william.crocker at analog.com>
> To: interest at qt-project.org
> Subject: Re: [Interest] Frustrated, Why doesn't Qt ever compile?
>
> On 12/21/2016 01:33 PM, Jason H wrote:
> > When I compile Qt, it is a harrowing experience. I've _never_ actually had a compile go as planned, which "as planned" is: configure && make && make install (with configure options of course). I don't think it's me. I thought that with all the gerrit review, sanity bots, COIN, that these problems would be a thing of the past? I'm trying to understand why/how it's so hard to compile Qt?
> >

> It was hard for me because I lack some of the necessary libraries or mine
> were out of date. So I had to iterate.

The configure script should pick that up though.
One enhancement that I'd appreciate is configure recording it's command line somewhere so I know how a build qt was previously configured.

> Also it took a while to realize that some builds omit the 'make install' step.
> It might have been smarter to convert 'make install' to a noop.
>
>   1 : configure; make; fail on this.
>   2 : configure -nothis; make; fail on that.
>   3 : configure -nothis -nothat; make -> fail on other.
>   4 : configure -nothis -nothat -noohter; make -> SUCCESS.
>   5 : make install; fail in a non obvious way.
>   6 : make clean distclean; goto 4 skipping the install step.
>   7 : repeat for release build.
>   8 : Take a break
>   9 : Try to build the doc.
> 10 : Give up and use the online doc.

That's pretty much my workflow as well. Fortunately, I can usually skip the broken module and still have a build that works for my purposes.