[Interest] QtWebEngine and make install DESTDIR=/path/to/distdir

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 12:34:03 CET 2016

Hi,

I maintain a Qt5 port for MacPorts and have been noticing something odd with the intermediate build results of QtWebEngine. Nothing that seems to affect the final install, but it could have different effects in other contexts, like leaving residual things in the root directory.

MacPorts creates its packages by installing to a so-called destroot, in this case using

# configure:
%> cd /.../qt5kdweb-work/build && /opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake PREFIX=/opt/local CONFIG+=release -Wall -r ../qtwebengine-opensource-src-5.7.1/qtwebengine.pro
# build as usual, as a regular user
# destroot, with privileges:
%> cd /.../qt5kdweb-work/build && gnumake -w install DESTDIR=/.../qt5kdweb-work/destroot

%> ls -ltr /.../qt5kdweb-work/B
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  8 bertin admin 612 Dec  2 12:18 qtwebengine-opensource-src-5.7.1
drwxr-xr-x 11 bertin admin 510 Dec 31 01:44 build
drwxr-xr-x  3 bertin admin 136 Dec 31 11:59 destrootQtWebEngineCore.framework
drwxr-xr-x  3 bertin admin 136 Dec 31 11:59 destrootQtWebEngine.framework
drwxr-xr-x  3 bertin admin 136 Dec 31 11:59 destrootQtWebEngineWidgets.framework
drwxr-xr-x  3 bertin admin 102 Dec 31 11:59 destroot

I see the same thing after destroot'ing QtWebKit so there is no reason to think this is the result of a mixed make/ninja build system.

I have never seen this happen with other components or projects using QMake, I just checked with QtWebView for instance. The difference being that I build QtWebView from the component source extracted from the all-inclusive Qt tarball, while QtWebKit and QtWebEngine are built from their respective distribution tarballs.

Is this something I should report as a bug, or should I use a different variable in the place of DESTDIR (if so, which)?

Thanks,
R.