[Interest] [ANN] build2 - C++ build toolchain

Konstantin Podsvirov konstantin at podsvirov.pro
Wed Feb 10 04:43:28 CET 2016

10.02.2016, 02:50, "Stephen Kelly" <steveire at gmail.com>:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday-feira, 9 de fevereiro de 2016 22:20:23 PST Diego Iastrubni wrote:
>>> While I agree... this still does not help me with a 3rd party code, which
>>> has a CMakeFiles.txt inside.
>>>
>>> How can I tell me CMakeFiles.txt - "see this subdir? now do include it,
>>> and make it part of your project".
>>
>> If it has a CMakeFiles.txt inside, you just need to add_subdir() the
>> subdir.
>
> This isn't really true. It depends on the 3rd party planning for being used
> like that and being implemented appropriately.

In General, this is true. But CMake is worth a try, that would be in love with him. My experience is limited, but CMake is the best tool for me right now, which perfectly complements the C and C++ (and others) in various application aspects and artifacts of the development process of large modular projects.

> There are other ways, but further discussion belongs on the cmake list
> anyway.

Yes. CMake has some barrier to entry, but its worth a try.
And the Qt project provides great support CMake, how to use the frame (export modules), and support Qt Creator IDE.

> Thanks,
>
> Steve.

The main thing I wanted to say:
a) to Build the dependent libraries from source code within your project is in General not good.
b) it is Necessary to strive for a modular design and independent building of modules and their exports and imports.

Regards,
Konstantin Podsvirov