[Interest] Process isolation with Qt - how to communicate with child processes

Etienne Sandré-Chardonnal etienne.sandre at m4x.org
Mon Jan 4 18:00:01 CET 2016

Dear All,

I have a server app which currently spawns threads for processing tasks
from incoming connections.

I need to isolate these tasks in processes instead of threads (there are
several reasons for this, including the fact that tasks will run possibly
bugged plugin code and this should not crash the server process).

What is the best Qt way to communicate with the child processes? I have
first thought using standard input/output, but it seems that it's
impossible to wait for incoming data from stdin without polling. The other
alternative I see is TCP Sockets, but is there an overhead? The amount of
data may be quite large (a few MB/s).

Thanks for your hints!

Etienne