[Interest] need advise on QStandardItemModel vs. QAbstractTableModel

Frank Rueter | OHUfx frank at ohufx.com
Wed Jan 13 23:07:02 CET 2016

Thanks Bo,

when you say "it's bad in so many ways", are you referring to performance?

I just realised that my last conversation with Jason had dropped the CC
to the list, so here it is again :

    so a few lines into the new code and I believe I'm starting to
    realise that QAbstractTableModel is the wrong choice for me, let's
    see if I get this right:

    I need each cell to:

      * store a reference to a custom object in the host application
      * get it's background and foreground colour from the host
        application's object
      * determine the right delegate output based on the data type/
        external object class
      * drive the external object's value upon datatChanged
      * etc.

    When I got as far as implementing the background role in my
    QAbstractTableModel's data method, the resulting view took about 4
    seconds to resize, while scrolling left me with the ol' spinning
    beach ball (OSX).
    The same code utilising QStandarItemModel reacts instantaneously
    without trouble, even with way more data.

    I suppose this is because I am storing those object references in
    each QStandarItem as I construct the data when using
    QStandarItemModel. So later on, those values are readily available
    within my data model.
    When putting those references into QAbstractTableModel.data(), they
    are constantly called upon as the view changes, causing the massive
    slow down.

    In order to keep the view fast, I need to refactor my code and
    somehow store the custom data only once, so things like background
    colour etc. are determined within my model's data when needed,
    rather than having to call the host application constantly to
    retrieve the same info.
    Which essentially turns the table model into an item model, and I
    might as well use the QStandardItemModel or at least
    QAbstractItemModel to begin with.

    Does that sound about right?

Bo, reading your reply makes me feel like I should keep playing with
QAbstractTableModel (or QAbstractItemModel) and write all the behaviour
I need from QStandardItemModel myself?
I feel like the item based approach is handier as I can subclass a
QStandardItem and give it a reference to the external object it
represents, then have the data read/write from/to that.
I don't think I get that with a table model unless I re-invent the wheel.

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks,
frank

--