[Interest] How do i monitor DBus functions (not signals)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 13 23:15:42 CET 2016

On Wednesday 13 January 2016 21:19:33 Mark Gaiser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to monitor "org.freedesktop.Notifications" for the notifications
> (see [1] for reference) that broadcasted from there. Every notification
> ends up in a "Notify" method on that dbus interface.

Hi Mark. "Monitoring" in D-Bus usually means running dbus-monitor and you do
that for debugging purposes. I don't think that's what you mean.

Do you mean listening to signals? If you mean that, there's no "method"
(a.k.a. a slot), only "signal".

> I'm trying to monitor that, but kinda fail at it... I can monitor the
> notifications with dbus-monitor
> "interface='org.freedesktop.Notifications',member='Notify',type='method_call
> ',eavesdrop='true'", doing the same in code is not firing the slot i'd like
> it to call..

Eavesdrop implies debugging. QtDBus will not do this, no matter how much you
try. Forget it.