[Interest] Clicks on fully transparent parts of windows no longer passes through in Qt 5.6 OS X

Brian Kendall guygizmo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 07:50:26 CET 2016

I'm developing an OS X app that utilizes frameless windows which have areas that are fully transparent. This is done by setting the flag Qt::FramelessWindowHint and setting the attribute Qt::WA_TranslucentBackground on my top level QWidget.

When built using Qt 5.5, clicking on any portion of the window that was transparent would have the click pass through the window to whatever screen element was underneath it. This is an important feature of the application: only portions of the window that are opaque should receive clicks, while clicking transparent portions should behave like the window is not there.

I recently updated to the beta of Qt 5.6 (Qt Creator says built Dec 16 2015) as it has some important bug fixes I need. However, now clicks on transparent portions of my windows do not pass through.

Is there anything I can do to get the behavior I want in Qt 5.6? Is this possibly a bug?

Thanks in advance,
- Brian