[Interest] OT: perforce (was: Local version control with Qt Creator on Linux)

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 16:06:59 CET 2016

On 2016-01-28 19:54, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 29 January 2016 01:48:06 Jason H wrote:
>> Perforce is free for 20 users / 20 workspaces. I really like it. The only
>> issue is by default files not checked out are readonly. This causes
>> problems when building for iOS/Android as the manifest files can't be
>> changed without a checkout.
>
> You shouldn't need to do a p4 checkout for building. If you have to do that,
> then you checked files in that you shouldn't have added.

I've run into situations where certain files really should be checked
in, but for some reason the build needs to be able to "modify" them
(probably a sign of a badly designed build tool, but sometimes you're
stuck with those).

Back when I used p4 (years ago, and it was an old version even then),
you could tell the repo that certain files should always be writable...

--
Matthew