[Interest] OSX/iOS Recording parameters backend

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri Jan 29 22:00:30 CET 2016

Currently, these Apple platforms don't support recording parameters. They use a hard-coded 1280x720, and as my app wants to upload video, this takes a considerable amount of time. On Android, we can set the parameters, and get "reasonable" file sizes and quality. On OSX/iOS, it's about 1 MB *per second*.  So I've been trying to adjust the backend by implementing the respective classes in:
avfaudioencodersettingscontrol.h/mm
avfmediacontainercontrol.h/mm
avfvideoencodersettingscontrol.h/mm

And patching this into the existing backend. It's not gone well. I'm not a Apple developer type of person. I'm at the edge of my ability, making guesses based on what I can understand from the viewfinder stuff and the android plugin. I think I have something close to working, but I still haven't found the part where QML sets the resolution settings. At some point there needs to be a setResolution function declared in AVFCameraSession, but there isn't? Somehow Camera.videoRecorder need to map to one of these objects? I don't understand how all the calls I've been adding are going to get called.

I'm willing to share what I have as long as you promise not to laugh.