[Interest] Utilizing the GPU, how to start?

Scott Aron Bloom scott at towel42.com
Wed Jul 6 02:56:04 CEST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Interest [mailto:interest-bounces+scott=towel42.com at qt-project.org] On Behalf Of Thiago Macieira
Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:42 PM
To: interest at qt-project.org
Subject: Re: [Interest] Utilizing the GPU, how to start?

On terça-feira, 5 de julho de 2016 11:45:41 PDT Jason Kretzer wrote:
> How does one get Qt widgets to take advantage of a GPU?  If this
> question seem naïve, it is because it is.
>
> With my application, I am displaying different types of media —
> mp4 (using QMedia Player)
> Html (folders containing a "mini-site” using QWebView) Images (using a
> Qlabel)
>
> This Qt 5.5, Windows7/10, running on a low end compute stick.  The CPU
> seems to take the brunt of the performance.  Just wondering how to
> offload some of that?

Stop using QtWidgets, including QtWebView and QLabel, and transition to Qt Quick instead. Qt Quick uses the GPU, QtWidgets do not.

That’s a pretty horrible answer... There are MANY of us, who prefer for all sorts of reasons, to use C++ as our primary development language.

Is there no outlook for QtWidgets to start using the GPU?

Scott