[Interest] Utilizing the GPU, how to start?

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu Jul 7 08:07:41 CEST 2016

Op 06/07/2016 om 21:17 schreef André Pönitz:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 08:34:44AM +0200, André Somers wrote:
>> Note that even if you define your GUI in QML, you can still do
>> everything else in C++. The QML doesn't have to be much more than what
>> you already have as .ui files now, and they are not C++ either are
>> they?
> I keep hearing "If done well, QML is no worse that .ui", but why would
> that matter to me? Most of my widgets are done in code, refactoring
> typically "just works", and it's typically less(!) lines than doing the
> same thing in QML.

I did not mention better or worse. It's different, and it is what you
need to use to make full use of the GPU. If that is not needed for your
usecase, widgets may suit your needs better. Great! There is nothing
wrong with widgets if you ask me, and I think that there is still plenty
of room for development there even if the official status is "done". But
it is never going to be as performant graphically as Quick 2 is. As long
as you ('all) are aware of its limitations, it's still a great and
mature technology.

André