[Interest] Utilizing the GPU, how to start?

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Thu Jul 7 08:47:35 CEST 2016

On Wed, 06 Jul 2016 18:10:37 +0000, J-P Nurmi wrote:

> Interesting choice. I would have done the exact opposite. Application
> logic in C++ and UI declaration in QML.

Well this is actually not a choice - we  did it in QML and ended up with
a disappointing performance, because of QML. And we did it exactly like
you recommend - we simply have a lot of UI.

> Declaring fluid animated UIs in
> QML is a joy, writing animations in C++ is not so.

In case of the animations QML offers a compact syntax to access a library
of C++ classes mostly setting up a QPropertyAnimation. Using similar ( or
even the same ) classes from C++ is not uncomfortable either.

My experience so far is, that using Qt/Quick from C++ does not have to be
that different from writing a widget application: creating controls,
setting up signal/slot connections and arranging them into layouts.

The graphic stack behind is irrelevant for the vast majority of the
application code and I disagree with Thiago, that it is not possible to
implement controls with a similar API as their widget counterparts.

Uwe