[Interest] Utilizing the GPU, how to start?

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Fri Jul 8 11:19:14 CEST 2016

On 08/07/16 08:01, Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> Just to give you a silly number: every push button of Controls 1 is made
> of 30 QObjects - every stop of a gradient adds an additional object.
>
> I recommend to do the exercise of counting the number of QObjects below
> the QQuickWindow of an application to everyone. Considering QObject being
> something "heavy" ( QQuickItem even "heavier" ), the numbers are just
> terrifying.
>
> This issue will be part of Andrews presentation (https://conf.qtcon.org/
> en/qtcon/public/events/428 ).

I think the question was more about measuring CPU and GPU performance
than memory. Do you happen to have those numbers?

This point about memory usage however is extremely valid, and amongst
other things shows that allowing styling in QML itself is hard if not
impossible due to the QObject bloat (and privileging composition over
vertical integration for "simple" UI elements makes you pay a lot for it.)

Cheers,
KDAB (UK) Ltd., a KDAB Group company | Tel: UK +44-1625-809908
KDAB - The Qt Experts