[Interest] FLex / Bison and QT4 4.8.1 Win32 interaction

william.crocker at analog.com william.crocker at analog.com
Fri Jul 8 12:42:47 CEST 2016

>> I suggest you just take the weekend and write your own
>> parser and lexical analysis, void of Flex and Bison.
>> I did and I have never looked back.
>>
>> :-)
>
> If you advice to reinvent the wheel, it's bad advice. But it makes sense
> to know alternatives which may be easier to use or more convenient to work
> with. For example, I very much like re2c lexer, it is simple, fast, and
> can be used in ad-hoc manner inside regular c++ sources.

I grew up with Lex and Yacc.
Issues (none of which were ultimately show stoppers).
- Multiple sets in the same program.
- Error reporting.
- Memory recovery on errors.
- Size constraints.
- Parsing poorly designed languages.
- Parsing the idiosyncrasies of well designed languages.
- Porting to other platforms.
- GPL.

Now I just brute force it with C++
minimizing my dependencies on others.

Not wanting to start an off topic thread.

Bill