[Interest] Split entities into groups and render them in custom order

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Sat Jul 9 21:31:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 09/07/2016 14:27, Oleg Evseev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to understand how can I split entities into groups and render
> them in custom order.
>
> That is, for example, first render SkyBox - behind all entities, than a
> Ground - plane mesh in front of SkyBox, but behind everything else. Then
> render a group of many transparent entities in order of creation. After
> that all other entities render "as usual" with ColorDepthBuffer.

Well, unless you're doing something very fancy, you would normally
render the opaque objects first followed by the transparent objects in
back to front order.

> For now I'm using one viewport and one camera.
>
> Do I understand right, that I can do such rendering with help of set of
> LayerFilters (like in example Deferred Renderer
> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qt3drender-framegraph.html) with different
> parameters of ClearBuffers?

Using Layer components on your entities and LayerFilter nodes in the
framegraph is indeed the way to go. You only need one ClearBuffers per
render target node typically.

Something schematically like this:

* Viewport
** RenderSurfaceSelector
*** CameraSelector
**** ClearBuffers
**** LayerFilter [layer = opaque]
**** LayerFIlter [layer = environment]
**** LayerFilter [layer = transparent]
***** SortPolicy [ front to back]
****** RenderStateSet [ disable depth writes ]

It is the leaf nodes which delimit the various stages of frame rendering.

I would suggest rendering the environment after the opaque objects to
reduce the required fill rate.

Hope this helps,

Sean