[Interest] QtIFW "Offline" Update

Marc Smith msmith626 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:07:37 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm using Qt Installer Framework (2.0.1 currently) to produce an
installation program for my project. The software works great, and I'm
very happy with it. There is one feature I'd like to see implemented,
or maybe someone knows of a way to get this result: I'd like it so
when running my application installer, if there is already an
installation in the selected target directory, the user be prompted to
update the software instead of giving an error stating an installation
exists.

Prompting to update the existing installation would be ideal, but if
that feature isn't expected in the foreseeable future, then I'd like
to automatically uninstall (or prompt to uninstall) the old version,
and then proceed with installing the new version in the wizard.

I realize I can customize my QtIFW installer to detect an existing
installation, but it doesn't appear there is a "silent" or
non-interactive uninstall flag for the maintenance tool. I looked at
the available flags on mine and don't see one -- is there possibly
anything undocumented that allows me to run the maintenance tool and
uninstall (eg, "./maintenancetool --uninstall")?

Any other ideas? I realize there is a whole feature for online updates
with the maintenance tool and QtIFW, but I'd prefer to package my
releases and post the downloads, and have the user manage their
updates with the install packages (eg, offline updates).

Just looking through the Qt bug reports dashboard, and I see this
which sounds like what I'm looking for:
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTIFW-573

It doesn't appear there are any recent changes to the request, but
maybe there is something usable (testable)?

Thanks for your time.

--Marc