[Interest] Qt Location with Mapbox plugin?

Olivier B. perso.olivier.barthelemy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:01:01 CEST 2016

There was a message about it in that same mailing list earlier this morning
from alexander.blasche at qt.io :

Hi,

Qt Location provides three content/map provider plugins (HERE, MapBox and
MapQuest). The first two providers require an account to run and MapQuest
was free of any registration so far. Unfortunately this changed this
Monday. More details in:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-54599

As a consequence any QtLocation application that uses MapQuest will no
longer receive any map tiles. The only possible way to fix this today is to
change from MapQuest to HERE or MapBox. Although those providers require a
registration they do offer free of charge usage models. Please be aware of
their terms and conditions though.

We are very sorry for this problem but at the end of the day there is not
much Qt can do. We are working on a patch to change to a new registration
free provider and even a related indirection but at the end of the day,
registration free access is becoming a thing of the past.

Going forward I would suggest to to always consider some form of registered
usage for any map provider. While we will continue to address upcoming
service changes this does ensure that there is some form of business
relationship between you and your chosen map tile provider. At the very
least it means that  notifications can be received before drastic changes
happen.