[Interest] Statically linking an open-source application with Qt?

Jean-Michaël Celerier jeanmichael.celerier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:58:23 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Olivier B. <
perso.olivier.barthelemy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure you are even able to link all Qt statically. Won't you at
> least need platform plugins, image plugins, etc as shared libraries?

It's possible and fairly easy to do : just do ./configure -static when
building Qt.
The compiler will complain as long as you don't explicitely link with all
the required plug-ins.

NunoSantos : this is FUD. You just need to comply to the license, be it GPL
or commercial. The virtue of the code being GPL prevents artificial
restrictions such as these.

You can even ship proprietary apps linked statically with Qt, as Vik
mentioned, and sleep good at night.

Best,
Jean-Michaël