[Interest] Why does QML prefer 'count' over '.length'?

Michael Brasser michael.brasser at live.com
Thu Jul 28 18:39:38 CEST 2016

Hi,

While I don't have anything to add on the relative merits of length vs count , I do understand the general frustration.

With large QML projects there can be a large number of "data collections". Those might be implemented in terms of ListModel, a custom QAbstractListModel-derived class, QStringList, QObjectList, or a JS array. These are interchangable in some aspects (e.g. all can be assigned to the model property of a view), but not all, and it can be an annoyance in those cases where it is not. For me I have personally had to "think more" when it comes to:

* getting the number of items in my collection
* how the data is made accessible to the delegate (model vs context properties vs modelData)

As the above differ based on the type of data collection I am working with. I'd welcome anything Qt could provide to make those things easier.

Regards,

Michael