[Interest] Problem with ^ on a Macintosh with German keyboard layout

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Tue Jun 14 22:58:47 CEST 2016

On a German keyboard on Macintosh, shift+6 is a combining (or dead key) ^ character. If you hit, for instance, shift+6 then "e", you get ê. In some applications, but not in a Qt application, you can enter a non-combining ^ using control-shift-option-6. In Qt, the character doesn't make it through because the QKeyEvent::text() function returns an empty string.

On Windows, the ^ dead key is where a US keyboard has ` and ~. If you hold down Alt and hit that key twice, it enters a non-combining ^. And this works in Qt.

I'm thinking of filing a bug, but thought I might solicit some comment from the European folks using Qt, who might be more expert on this sort of issue!

-John Weeks
WaveMetrics, Inc.