[Interest] 5.8 Features?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Jun 22 15:39:35 CEST 2016

> Subject: Re: [Interest] 5.8 Features?
>
> On 22 June 2016 at 09:34, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > On terça-feira, 21 de junho de 2016 22:55:07 PDT Jason H wrote:
> > > I feel like the last few releases have been run by the trolls, and not the
> > > users of Qt. I was hoping open governance would enable the community to
> > > direct Qt development, but I seem to have misinterpreted what it means.
>
> See https://wiki.qt.io/The_Qt_Governance_Model
>
> "Open governance" means that all members of the community can raise
> proposals and vote on them. It is also a meritocratic system (as
> opposed to democratic), which means more weight is given to members of
> higher rank. Put simply, rank is gained through contributions and
> commitment to the Qt Project.

Where and when does this voting occur? I've been vocal about improving Qt on mobile since mobile was an option. I've been hardcore on the shortcomings for about 20 months. During that time, I saw 5.6 get released, 5.7 get released at the same time as 5.6.1, and a lot of meaningless (to me) modules added. And now 5.8 is only 1.5 months from 5.7? What_the_hell? I'd like to see Qt complete it's mobile initiative.

As for contributing, the past 20 months I've been under _multiple_ commercial licenses, one that was paying for a Desktop just to use Qt Charts. I think that's pretty material.