[Interest] Qt LGPLv3 and Qt LGPL Exception

Benjamin TERRIER b.terrier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 08:12:53 CEST 2016

> Op 28/06/2016 om 11:09 schreef Jean-Michaël Celerier:
>

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Benjamin TERRIER <b.terrier at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The technical reason is that when including Qt headers in proprietary
>> software, your final binary contains compiled forms of Qt code (e.g
>> inline function or template classes).
>

> From the LGPLv3 :
>
> 3. Object Code Incorporating Material from Library Header Files.
>
> The object code form of an Application may incorporate material from a header file that is part of the Library. You may convey such object code under terms of your choice, provided that, if the incorporated material is not limited to numerical parameters, data structure layouts and accessors, or small macros, inline functions and templates (ten or fewer lines in length), you do both of the following:
>
> So... How exactly do you use any of the Qt containers using the LGPL3 libraries? Are they implemented in 10 or less lines of template code?
>
> It think the question is valid, and reading the question, you can see that he read that passage.
>
> André
>
> a) Give prominent notice with each copy of the object code that the Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by this License.
> b) Accompany the object code with a copy of the GNU GPL and this license document.
>

> Best
> Jean-Michaël Celerier

It appears I misread the LGPLv3 and that there are no issues with Qt.

I thought the exception was only valid for inline functions of less
than 10 lines. Whereas in reality
the exception is always valid, but requires you only to give credits
if there is such a function.

It seems I'm not the only one on the Internet to misread this part
when reading it fast :-/

Sorry about all the fuss.

Cheers,

Benjamin