[Interest] Slightly OT: On Windows, QFile operations failing due to on-access scanners

Rainer Wiesenfarth rainer_wiesenfarth at trimble.com
Thu Jun 30 09:11:27 CEST 2016

(Qt 5.3.2, VS2010 on Windows)

Hi all,

this is off-topic as the problem is not caused by Qt, however, QFile
is involved and might be the one to handle it. In any case, I'd like
to hear if others have a similar problem and how they deal with it:

>From time to time we get issues from individual customers that our
software failed to access files, usually during long-running
processing tasks. This happens unpredictable and for random files.
Although we are not able to proove it, we assume that this is caused
by on-access virus scanners that lock a file for a short amount of
time to look at it. If a QFile operation tries to access the file
during that time it fails.

For some cases we could avoid this by retrying the operation, but I am
not willing to encapsulate every QFile operation in a retry loop.

Did anyone out there run into this issue and find a solution for it?

--
Software Engineer | Trimble Imaging Division
Rotebühlstraße 81 | 70178 Stuttgart | Germany

Trimble Germany GmbH, Am Prime Parc 11, 65479 Raunheim
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Darmstadt unter HRB 83893,
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Frank Heimberg, Hans-Jürgen Gebauer