[Interest] Minimum required OS X SDK for Qt 5.6?

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 22:16:56 CET 2016

> Am 02.03.2016 um 20:20 schrieb NoRulez <norulez at me.com>:
>
> Hello,
>
> what is the minimum required Mac OS X SDK?
> I tried it with MacOSX10.8.sdk and C++11 enabled but it fails with (I
> think that C++11 is not fully supported in 10.8):

Just to clarify: you need to distinguish between "(Minimum) BUILD  SDK" and "Minimum DEPLOYMENT Target".

See here: http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2014-October/013718.html

QMAKE_MAC_SDK and QMAKE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is what you're after.

Usually you want to build against the latest SDK (e.g. "macosx10.11"). Setting the Deployment Target to a lower value (e.g. "10.8") will "weak-link" any symbols which were not available on that target. Off course if you want to use features of a later SDK you need to dynamically check for their existence.

(I am not an Xcode/Cocoa/ObjC expert, so not 100% sure about the "weak-linking part" - but as long as you don't use Cocoa directly, but Qt exclusively, you don't need to bother anyway: Qt does it all for you, down to the lowest supported OS X).

Not sure about C++11 support (in case that's the problem here anyway), but according to

  http://blog.michael.kuron-germany.de/2013/02/using-c11-on-mac-os-x-10-8/

it should be supported since OS X 10.7.

Cheers,
  Oliver