[Interest] Android services

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Fri Mar 4 23:46:58 CET 2016

So I am trying to implement a background service and it's not going very well. The service is being used to upload files when the UI is suspended.

My usage differs from the http://www.kdab.com/qt-android-episode-7/ tutorial in a number of ways.

1. I have a Qt App
2. I have a subclassed QtActivity
3. I have a subclassed IntentService
4. The intent service calls the native statics functions.
5. I've added <service android:name=".MyUploadService" android:exported="false" android:enabled="true"/> to the manifest, and spec'd MyActivity as the activity.

6. MyActivity::onCreate calls:
        Intent serviceIntent = new Intent(this, MyUploadService.class);
        startService(serviceIntent);

And that's where it stops.

In my MyUploadService,
1. None of the below gets logged:
    @Override
    public MyUploadService() {
        super("MyUploadService");
        java.lang.System.out.println(this.getClass().toString() + " Initialized");
    }

    @Override
    public void onCreate() {
        java.lang.System.out.println(this.getClass().toString() + " Created");
    }

    @Override
    public void onHandleIntent(Intent workIntent) {
        java.lang.System.out.println(this.getClass().toString() + " onHandleIntent");
    }

Once the service is started, it is occasionally sent messages for work to do. But it doesn't get that far.

Help?