[Interest] Translating plural with is/are

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Mon Mar 7 20:25:59 CET 2016

Op 07/03/2016 om 19:56 schreef Jason H:
>> If you provide a translation file, the message with %n will be translated
>> according to the language's plural rules. For English, you'll have two
>> translations for the same source message.
>>
>> 	"At least one upper case character is required" (a)
>> 	"At least %n upper case characters are required" (b)
>>
>> QTranslator takes care to apply the correct selection based on the number that
>> you passed.
> Ok I'm getting there, but how do I specify this string (a) or that string (b)?
> What's the qsTr() line look like?
> qsTr( ?
It doesn't matter how your string inside the tr or qsTr looks, as long
as it contains the %n. It is useful for both developers and translators
if it looks roughly like the string you want out of it but that is not
strictly needed. You could just make due with
qsTr("MESSAGE_UPPER_CASE_CHARACTERS %n", n) or something like that
though I personaly don't like this. It is up to the person filling the
translation file with translations (including the one for English) to
make sure that both versions of the definitive string are provided in
the .ts file.

André