[Interest] Hybrid Qt/HTML5 app

Daniel França daniel.franca at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:58:53 CET 2016

>> You said " cross-platform, including web".  Web, as I understand it, is
not a prorietary application. If you said desktop apps, >> that'd be fine.
But you specifically included web.
*I don't understand your point, really, could you clarify?.*

>> If you do make a web-only version
>> - it's going to be difficult to maintain feature parity. Perhaps your
users can live with a downgraded web experience?
*In this statement you're agreeing with me? If I've a web-specific version
and a QML version it would be very difficult to keep same features yes.*

>> you also cited your developers that don't want to learn anything new and
wanting to resuse existing libraries. While the
>> WebEngine will allow this, Qt would have you using C++ and/or QML at
some level.
*What's not a problem for me, the backend developer and leave the js
developers/designers away from qml.*

>> QML, fwiw, is a small derivitive of javascript, and is complete joy. It
just seems unatural to me to have QML availible but still want to live in
JS. Perhaps you are trying to maintain a core, shared codebase, which is an
admirable goal, and I'm sure you can do it.
*QML is far from HTML/CSS enough, and yes, one of my goals is to have a
shared codebase.*

Em ter, 8 de mar de 2016 às 17:13, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> escreveu:

> You said " cross-platform, including web".  Web, as I understand it, is
> not a prorietary application. If you said desktop apps, that'd be fine. But
> you specifically included web.
>
> If you do make a web-only version
> - it's going to be difficult to maintain feature parity. Perhaps your
> users can live with a downgraded web experience?
> - you also cited your developers that don't want to learn anything new and
> wanting to resuse existing libraries. While the WebEngine will allow this,
> Qt would have you using C++ and/or QML at some level. QML, fwiw, is a small
> derivitive of javascript, and is complete joy. It just seems unatural to me
> to have QML availible but still want to live in JS. Perhaps you are trying
> to maintain a core, shared codebase, which is an admirable goal, and I'm
> sure you can do it.
>
> I think a better approach would be to use HTML to construct whatever
> Widgets or elements you need and stick with that. A lot can be done with
> HTML Canvas.
>
> *Sent:* Tuesday, March 08, 2016 at 10:52 AM
>
> *From:* "Daniel França" <daniel.franca at gmail.com>
> *To:* "Jason H" <jhihn at gmx.com>
> *Cc:* "interest at qt-project.org" <interest at qt-project.org>
> *Subject:* Re: [Interest] Hybrid Qt/HTML5 app
> Why? I'm not worried at all about the user having to download the app in a
> mobile or desktop version.
>
> Em ter, 8 de mar de 2016 às 16:48, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> escreveu:
>
>> Then you have only one option: HTML5
>> With webkit, you  would have the requirement that your clients would need
>> to download and install the Qt Webkit app, just like as if hthey were
>> downloading chrome. If you have to work in chrome/safari/ie, then Qt is out.
>>

>> *Sent:* Tuesday, March 08, 2016 at 10:08 AM
>> *From:* "Daniel França" <daniel.franca at gmail.com>
>> *To:* "Jason H" <jhihn at gmx.com>
>> *Cc:* "interest at qt-project.org" <interest at qt-project.org>
>> *Subject:* Re: [Interest] Hybrid Qt/HTML5 app
>> Thanks for answer it, but I don't understand why you need the background
>> to answer the question, but here it goes:
>>
>> 1. I want to make it cross-platform, including web.
>> 2. I'm working with designers/js developers who are not interested in
>> learning a new language/framework
>> 3. I want to reuse all the bunch of libraries/frameworks we already have
>> for JS/HTML/CSS
>>
>> Best,
>> Daniel
>>

>> Em ter, 8 de mar de 2016 às 15:47, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> escreveu:
>>
>>> Some more background would help. With the flexibility of QML, why would
>>> you want to restrict yourself to HTML? There are 3 paragigms at play:
>>> 1. Classic C++ Qt, parent-child heiarchial based layouts.
>>> 2. QML, Anchor and parent/child/sibling based layouts