[Interest] getting symbols in deployed mac app

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:51:07 CET 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am building my Qt app with symbols so I can use lldb. I use this
> cmake option "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug". That indeed does make an
> executable that I debug locally on the machine I built it on.
>
> But if I then use macdeployqt to generate a dmg file, the executable
> in there does not seem to have symbols, so I cannot debug it with
> lldb.
>
> Is there a way to get the symbols into the dmg executable?

I found the -use-debug-libs option to macdeployqt and with that the
executable in the dmg does have symbols and works on the machine I
build it on. But when I copy the dmg to another mac it fails with:

Library not loaded: @rpath/QtOpenGL.framework/Versions/5/QtOpenGL
  Reason: image not found

If I don't build the dmg with -use-debug-libs and copy the dmg to
another machine it does work. This seems like a bug in macdeployqt.