[Interest] Are slots even needed these days?

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 08:56:57 CET 2016

> Am 17.03.2016 um 07:39 schrieb André Somers <andre at familiesomers.nl>:

> I find that much more readable than having to look in some signals section to find if there is a notification signal, and then in some slots section to see if the setter is perhaps declared as a slot or not.

That's an entire different view than what I've had so far (since so far I've never used those new "PFM"-style connections. What does it even mean? "Printing with Manual Formatting"? ;))

And I must say André's point makes very much sense, too :)

And if I'm not completely mistaken with the old style connections an explicit [private|protected|public] slots: section is always needed, in order for the moc to recognise the method to be a "slot", no?

Or is this also just syntactical sugar when it comes to /connecting/ a slot (ignoring the generated meta data for the moment)?

For instance I know that the private|public specifier has absolutely no influence on the "connectability" of a slot, that is you can connect a signal to a private slot from /outside/ the class...

Cheers,
  Oliver