[Interest] qt.labs.controls / QtQuickControls2: ToolBar, Label / Image Colors, tinting...

ekke ekke at ekkes-corner.org
Fri May 6 17:59:07 CEST 2016

it's really easy to create a Toolbar with Title and Menu using
qt.labs.controls and Material style:

import QtQuick 2.6
import QtQuick.Layouts 1.3
import Qt.labs.controls 1.0
import Qt.labs.controls.material 1.0

ToolBar {
    id: titleToolBar
    property alias text: titleLabel.text
    RowLayout {
        focus: false
        spacing: 20
        anchors.fill: parent
        Label {
            id: titleLabel
            text: "ekke"
            font.pixelSize: 20
            elide: Label.ElideRight
            horizontalAlignment: Qt.AlignHCenter
            verticalAlignment: Qt.AlignVCenter
            Layout.fillWidth: true
        }
        ToolButton {
            Image {
                anchors.centerIn: parent
                source: "qrc:/images/menu.png"
            }
            // onClicked: doSomething()
        }
    }
}

I'm getting the primaryColor as background of ToolBar as expected.

Problem is when primaryColor is a dark color and needs white as text color.

Here's the overview of Material Color Palette where you can see when
text should be black or white:

http://www.google.com/design/spec/style/color.html#color-color-palette

I'm always getting black as color - is there something like *color:
Material.textOnPrimary* ?

Or do I have to handle this by my own logic or mappings ?

Using a dark primary color not only needs white text color, but also
white Images as used in ToolButton -> Image above.

Do I need two different image sets for black or white ?

Or is there something like 'tinting' an Image as for other OS ?

(BlackBerry Cascades: setFilterColor(), Android: setColorFilter, iOS:
tintColor = UIColor.redColor())

Inside the Toolbar depending from Material primary color, I need black
or white, also for BottomNavigation (Android)

There are other situations where I have to 'tint' Images with the
primary color as for selected buttons in iOS bottom navigation bar

Would be great to get some hints or if there's something inside
qt.labs.controls / QtQuickControls2 I could use - even with the risk of
API changes in future.

THANKS
--

ekke (ekkehard gentz)

independent software architect
international development native mobile business apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)