[Interest] Preferred way to create custom look-and-feel GUI

Jan Müller 217534 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 16:40:02 CEST 2016

Hello,

I was wondering, what is the preferred way to create a GUI with a custom
look-and-feel appearance, similar as e.g. QtCreator.

I have a modestly large application, using a QWidgets approach and I use
'designer' to create the ui/layout.

The application has several modes/screens, which are accessible at the
moment through a tabview widget.

At the core of the application there is a QGLWidget, drawing lots of data
coming from the C++ core.

I would like to make the application appear a bit more modern, e.g. with
custom look-and-feel buttons/spin-boxes etc.

I recently discovered QML. Does it make sense to migrate to a QML based
approach? I'm thinking of creating the mainwindow together with buttons to
switch between the modes in QML. And instantiate my (c++ implemented)
OpenGL widget in QML (and make it derive from QQuickItem).

Or should I stick with the QWidgets approach and use a stylesheet to
implement more 'fancy' looking things such as gradients and custom
look-and-feel components?

What does QtCreator use to implement the GUI? For example the navigation
bar at the left with the "Welcome", "Edit", "Design", etc. buttons. I tried
to look into the sources of QtCreator, but got a bit lost.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Jan