[Interest] Problems with graphics library auto-detect on Windows

Michael R Nelson mnelson at sutron.com
Tue May 10 16:41:52 CEST 2016

Hi all,

Our app is QML based and uses Qt Quick Controls. We build for Windows, OS X, iOS, and Android.

As you know, Qt auto-selects a graphics library at startup (OpenGL, ANGLE, or Mesa llvmpipe). About 1 in 15 of our users report our app fails during this auto-detect process on Windows. Most failures appear to be poor OpenGL support in the card/drivers, but sometimes the issue is "vsprintf_s" export not found error, when running on XP. Updating drivers is rarely a fix for these scenarios.

We are coming to the conclusion we should force the use of ANGLE on Windows 7 and above, and force SoftOpenGL on XP. Have others also come to this conclusion? Does anyone have any helpful tips to share on this issue?

Thanks,
Mike

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us by email by replying to the sender and delete this message. The sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included in any attachment.