[Interest] Android and iOS: how to easily handle 'staging' and 'production' versions ?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue May 17 16:10:21 CEST 2016

> Hello all,
> I often need to keep two version of the app: ‘production’ that it’s the current app live on the stores and ‘staging’ that it’s an app deployed only to the client and testers for the new upcoming release.
>
> Of course, I don’t want to use the same package name for the apps, so let’s suppose I’d like to have: ‘com.mycompany.staging.coolapp’ for staging and ‘com.mycompany.coolapp’ for the one on stores.
>
> For now, switching from one build to another build, it require my to manually change the java source directory tree, the java package name at the top of each java class declaration, the package name into AndroidManifest and Info.plist.
>
> Do you find an automatic way to handle this switch of build environments easily ?

Don't to it that way. You'll have issues.

Just use source control as you are supposed to - a branch for each build if that is what you want. Or use tags.
I don't do it that way because I only ever work on one code base at a time, each revision is put into a different build on the app store, using the build number. For iOS, this can reset every version, for android it must increase per the identifier.

The app stores allow you to put an app into testing before release, use that feature don't re-invent the wheel and make it harder for yourself.