[Interest] [QT3D] 3d Object and texture loads

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Tue May 24 20:02:16 CEST 2016

I don't think that it exist a 3D format that is made to have a fast
format seems to give fat and complexe hierarchy files.

If you really need performances the best is to do a custom file format that
feet your needs. For exemple you can use protocol buffer and put only
vertex data you need directly in the correct format.
By archiving geometry data in a format that doesn't require any conversion
for the graphical API or the GPU will give you the fastest loading times.
For textures it is recommended to use compressed textures (pvrtc, dxtc,
etc,...), but because the compression is fixed it is interesting to add a
fast compression step before with a lossless algorithm (lzham, bzip,...) to
reduce the file size to something close to png or jpg results.

> I believe I read somewhere in connection with Qt3D that there was a more
> organic object and texture type that loads faster into a mesh object that
> did not go through a heavy parsing stage. Is that accurate or should we
> continue to use obj or 3ds types for objects and jpg or png for textures?
>
> Pierre Chicoine

Xavier