[Interest] widget rendering (alignment, sizing) issues on OS X

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon May 30 09:39:13 CEST 2016

René J.V. Bertin wrote:

Hi,

>> In our application, we have the following code in a
>> QApplication::eventFilter reimplementation for this exact reason:
>>
>> case QEvent::ChildAdded:
>> theChildWidget->setAttribute(Qt::WA_LayoutUsesWidgetRect, true);
>
> That's very interesting, I hadn't yet realised there was a way to do this for
> every widget created.

I tried this, putting the event filter in my platform theme plugin where it
affects each and every widget in each and every application when that plugin is
set to load at startup :)

Doesn't help. In fact, it makes interfaces even more "bloated" than they are,
with even more space among widgets than is already being (IMHO) wasted. I'm not
really sure if that's something that shows up in particular in applications
using KF5 features for their interface but the result is that they look as if
designed for the visually or motor impaired.
(Or to use an analogy: KDE's new default style is called Breeze to suggest a
fresh new wind ... the native Mac style could be called Draughty in that mindset
:))