[Interest] Qt World Summit 2016 on Qt Lite?

Eddie Sutton eddie.of.the.spam at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 16:09:11 CET 2016

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 8:43 AM, Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
>
> >I don't know where I saw it, but I saw a rather impressive bar chart comaring executable sizes and Qt light really delivered.

I’d like to see that.  Can anyone can share a link ?

>  >I am interested in this as well, but more to know how it is implemented. It sounds to me like it's a Qt-compile-time thing, rather than a more general approach. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to compile only those classes your app needs (as seen by MOC) and link in a million little class libararies into one, which is then linked to the app. Of course with such an approach you might have to force include some classes for polymorphic reasons.
>
> But I understand the reason why it might only be for device creation. You could produce a lot of Qt libraries which won't be valid as a general purpose library.

From the blogs I thought it sounded like you build-Qt-for-your-specific-needs.  Then use your custom built Qt Lite to build your project.

Any opinions on whether executable size would be comparable to static lib linking of Qt?  Or much smaller?

I have never succeeded at building a static lib version of Qt.  To use in production I would need to build for 4 targets; Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows.   I should try again sometime.

-Ed