[Interest] Qt World Summit 2016 on Qt Lite?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Nov 4 16:53:16 CET 2016

On sexta-feira, 4 de novembro de 2016 14:43:58 PDT Jason H wrote:
> I am interested in this as well, but more to know how it is implemented. It
> sounds to me like it's a Qt-compile-time thing, rather than a more general
> approach. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to compile only those
> classes your app needs (as seen by MOC) and link in a million little class
> libararies into one, which is then linked to the app. Of course with such
> an approach you might have to force include some classes for polymorphic
> reasons.

MOC has nothing to do with that. Moc doesn't see your entire codebase, doesn't
transform it, doesn't remove code. That's a complete misconception of what moc
is about.

What you're asking for already exists and is called "static build". That
causes the linker to discard everything that your app doesn't use.

That is also not what Qt Lite is about. Qt Lite is about making changes that
are not allowed in Qt 5 due to binary compatibility reasons that will cause
smaller code. It's also about reviving the old feature system so that you can
depopulate dynamic libraries instead of being forced to use static.