[Interest] Input method support in Qt 5 — clarification

Dominik Wezel dom at qvasartech.com
Tue Nov 8 13:52:56 CET 2016

Hi Sérgio and André

After I wrote the last email, I became aware that I might be
misunderstood and silently declassified as a moron.

The key composition as such *does* work, however it seems to be
implemented with an unmodifiable set of standard compose-keys, either
hard-coded or based on a key composition table I cannot locate nor access.

If I take the standard US/UTF-8 Compose file and edit it, my changes are
not respected, whether I place it in the standard location
(/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose), or in my home as
/home/me/.XCompose.  This is also exactly the behaviour of the Gnome XIM
--- which is why we had to set GTK_IM_MODULE and QT_IM_MODULE to XIM in
earlier KDE releases.

 From KDE 5 on (which uses Qt 5), this workaround does no longer work,
and though it is easy to find complaints about that on the Web, there is
only this single reference from Gatis Paeglis which points towards a fix
for the problem.  However it is not clear whether the change was ever
implemented, or how to enable it.  For it clearly is not working as
advertized.

I have dozens and dozens of personal key compositions (for different
scripts like Arabic, Thai, Greek, as well as typographic dashes, spaces
and other signs) which I can no longer use.

So I am clearly interested in knowing whether there is any investigation
in this direction, and what the outcome is.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Dominik