[Interest] TEMPLATE=lib creating executable config for Visual Studio project files

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 03:14:37 CET 2016

QMAKE isn't behaving the way I'm expecting.  I've tried 4.8.6, 5.4.2 and
5.6.2, and this bare-bones QMAKE .pro file keeps generating Visual Studio
project files (.vcproj and .vcxproj) that have an "Application" configuration
with an ".exe" extension when I run "qmake -t vcapp":

     TARGET = tmp
     TEMPLATE = lib

     QT -= gui

     CONFIG += core
     CONFIG -= widgets

Goes without saying that this should be a shared library (.dll) project.
Since all three Qt versions are choking on this, seems apparent that I am
missing some additional setting, but searches don't point to anything obvious.