[Interest] QMultimedia crashes or doesn't work on recent linux releases

maitai maitai at virtual-winds.org
Mon Nov 14 07:08:41 CET 2016

Hello,

Since Ubuntu 16.04, my qt (qt5.7 official release/QWidget-based)
application cannot play a sound (no crash, but no sound). The very same
app works fine with Ubuntu 14.04. I get that kind of messages in the
console when trying to play a sound (.mp3 file) with QMultimedia:

Warning: "No decoder available for type 'audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1,
mpegaudioversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2,
parsed=(boolean)true'."

or (depending on the machine)

defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for -
"org.qt-project.qt.mediaplayer"

Even worst, I have a user running latest linux Manjaro 64bits who is
reporting a crash each time a sound is played (i.e. the app works fine
until it tries to play a sound). It crashes with this message:

  symbol lookup error: (...)/mediaservice/libgstmediaplayer.so: undefined
symbol: gst_video_connector_get_type

He is also saying that the same app build is running fine on an older
Manjaro machine.

I ended up for the time being by removing all sounds on all linux
platforms, which is a bit sad as you can imagine.

I believe it's gstreamer related, but before I start digging, may be
someone has some clues about that?

Any help welcomed
Philippe Lelong