[Interest] QMultimedia crashes or doesn't work on recent linux releases

maitai maitai at virtual-winds.org
Mon Nov 14 20:01:20 CET 2016

Thanks Jason for your reply,

I am not sure I understand. For many years now we just provide a 32 and
a 64 build without having ever taken care of gstreamer (or even know
about it, to be honest, it just worked). We do not play music, just some
"ding" and some rings. Those builds were working flawlessly on all linux
distribs I have heard of.

Now I see that if I build a Ubuntu 16.04 VM machine from scratch and run
the app through Creator (so no deployment issues there), no sound and
those messages in the console, and some users are reporting systematic
crashes on other recent distro, with the same builds. These very same
builds are running fine on older distros, like Ubuntu 14.04 for
instance.

Should I configure something at Qt level about gstreamer? Or do you mean
I should ask users to do some clever tuning on their machine?

I saw that in qt5.5 documentation:

GStreamer 1.0 support. Note that the default is still 0.10. 1.0 support
can be enabled by configuring Qt with '-gstreamer 1.0'.

Does it means I should have 4 builds instead of 2, two being built
against a manually-compiled qt?

A bit confused here I admit :) Probably I am missing something obvious,
sorry for that if this is the case.

Philippe